Two major (and several lesser) works exist, listing the various Torrens families. The two major works have both been transcribed. One is available free from this site. The second is available for a small charge. This page lists not only the books that are in my possession but also those of which I know, but do not possess.
- 1921 The Descendants of Lewis Hart and Anne Elliott by Jared Sidney Torrance.
This is the definitive history of most of the American Torrance lines - though Jared himself traces back to the Bann Valley. It has been transcribed and is available for a small charge.
- 1938 Torrence and Allied Families by Robert M Torrence
By the time Robert wrote his book, the myths surrounding, in particular, Sgt Hugh Terence had solidified into accepted history - though there is no evidence terence is even Torrence! Robert did not disassemble the myths, though it is not clear whether or not he helped embroider the tale.
Despite some inaccuracies, RMT's book remains the most valued and trusted book available on the Torrens families and the start of the book, which covers the Torrence families, has been transcribed and is available free on this site. Torrence and Allied Families.
The Minor Family Histories
These minor family histories are listed here in order of publication. Those with a date in violet are ones of which I possess a copy. Green are ones I do not possess - if any reader has a copy, or can obtain one, please contact me.
- 1859-1894 Chart of the Torrences by John Torrence, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Published in 1894 by Harriet. R. Torrence Stewart. Mentioned in RMT's book.
- 1915 Paull-Irwin, a Family Sketch by
Miss Elizabeth Maxwell Paull, Blairsville, Pennsylvania. Mentioned in RMT (p. 44).
- 1924 History of the Torrance Family. by Mitchel T. Torrance and Sarah J. Torrance.
In the early ancestors section in particular this appears to be very much a work of fiction, full of wishful thinking. It states facts without any provenance whatsoever. Pages 5 through 64 are a pretty well a verbatim transcript of JST's book of a few years earlier. See Genealogy or fiction? for more comments.
- 1934 Torrens 1786-1934 by Mrs Frank S Torrens
This publication lists descendants of Frances Torrens of Letterkenny. It is still a live publication in that it is now available as a GEDCOM file which is kept up-to-date. Contact is Robert C Torrens.
- ???? Torrance Family, by Frank L. Torrance, of Abington, Illinois, and Fred. A. Torrance, of Ausable Forks, New York.
- Some Descendants of the Immigrant Samuel Torrance by Elbert Phillips
is included here: it is a printout of his GEDCOM database with notes.
Reservations on some Family histories
Robert McIlvane Torrence certainly was mislead by believing older researchers whose fabrications had been lent authority by a patina of age. There are clearly some errors in RMT's work and the following pages help explain some of our doubts.
Other books of more general interest
There is a list of books of interest to the Bann Valley (Londonderry, Northern Ireland) genealogist on the Bann Valley site.
Top of page
Document URI: www.torrens.org.uk/Genealogy/Torrens/books/index.html
Last modified: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:19:37 GMT